The Power of Deep Breathing – Mindfulness
Before you head into your first meeting of the week try to do a little deep breathing to clear your mind and practice a mindfulness.
Andrew Weil, M.D. outlines a breathing technique to try:
- Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound.
- Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four.
- Hold your breath for a count of seven.
- Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of eight.
- This is one breath. Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breaths.
If done properly, you may feel invigorated, comparable to the heightened awareness you feel after a good workout. You should feel the effort at the back of the neck, the diaphragm, the chest and the abdomen.
Practice deep breathing and you will be more productive and able to handle whatever challenges your day has in store for you!